Friday 29 April 2011

Sophie in Wondercupboard

An aside: Happy Wedding Day Royal people - although I'm not the happiest recipient of messed up scheduling, since my last two chemos have now been delayed as a direct result. But romance must come FIRST! And the M c Q u e e n !


I'll admit I'm sceptical about 'alternative therapies', which isn't to say I don't think they're amazing for people, they're just not amazing for me, probably because I'm sceptical about them.

Apart from Life Mel honey, which is quite obviously amazing. Oh and juicing, which is just amazing all round. And a few other things that I'm adding to my daily regime. In fact, I think maybe I'm collecting something of a repertoire of miracle EAT ME cures to compliment my medical cure, which on reflection is a bit odd for a sceptic. But whatever helps, hey? 

The latest is Wheatgrass Juice shots, which I'm adding to my daily juices. Unfortunately it tastes, smells and looks like something at the bottom of your kitchen bin, but apparently its the most super of all superfoods, and has various health benefits like providing protein, vitamins, minerals, enzymes, amino acids, nourishing the liver and kidneys, getting rid of toxins, cleansing the lymph system, etc. etc. I won't bore you any more, but basically wheatgrass is Clarke Kent in vegetable form. I get mine from Big Banana Juice Bar, delivered in frozen portions, which I defrost and add to my juice, which I then drink with my nose held so I can't taste it as much. Something I learnt in biology when we ate pears while sniffing apples. How essential those GCSE days were for our future selves.

My dad has discovered the next acai berry (that is a not-nice-tasting trendy superfood for the uninitiated) in his role as food commodity trader. Chia is supposed to be used in baking, but it's tasteless and textureless and can be added to anything (I put it in smoothies and salad dressings) it's a source of calcium, protein, omega 3 fatty acids, gives you energy, endurance, strengthens muscles etc. etc. We'll call this one Incredible Hulk in seed form. See where I'm going with this?

nb. as a disclaimer my dad would like it noted that he didn't literally 'discover' Chia. That was the Aztecs of Mexico fyi. You can buy his here

A lovely blog supporter, Lucy Brazier, sent me a gorgeous care package recently with, amongst other things, Macca Root Powder and Purple Corn Extract. I still don't quite know what these are or do, but I'm reliably informed by the packet that I should add them to smoothies and feel generally wonderful. Er, Mother Theresa in packet form? I haven't opened them yet so I don't know what other form they take...

Finally, the most miraculous of miracle cures: Vegetable Cupcakes. Yes you heard me right, Petit Pois are v-e-g-e-t-a-b-l-e cupcakes that have the power to heal me through joy and delight. Their main ingredient is beetroot in the chocolate one, pumpkin in vanilla, courgette in orange and lemon, but they taste exactly like perfect, sweet cupcakes. This is a culinary mystery, but I'm very happy someone else has unearthed it so I can buy them in Selfridges, instead of wasting time, effort, washing up liquid and various hours of Internet research trying to adapt recipes so I can still eat dessert. AND they're gluten and dairy free and low fat and low in calories. These must be Colin Farrell in cake form - delicious, should be an impossible dream , but actually you so could...

My friend Clare texted me from India recently. She is the opposite of sceptical about alternative therapy. She is also lovely, hilarious, very caring and very spiritual, so I was touched by her text, even though I was giggling inside. 

"Hey, I'm in India. There's a very good Ayurvedic cure for cancer here. It costs £90, I'm leaving soon so let me know if you want it."

I think I'll stick with chemo and cupcakes...

2 comments:

  1. Macca is delicious. I have it with my hemp protein powder and flaxseed. In a smoothie made with oatley or almond milk is heavenly, great breakfast or snack. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so you know, you don't need to do loads of research to find recipes to adapt. Petit Pois cupcakes are by Harry Eastwood and she wrote a book called Red Velvet and Chocolate Heartache where all the cakes are made with vegetables. so no adapting necessary!

    ReplyDelete