Tuesday 22 February 2011

The Battle Is On: Me v's my Lashes

According to the (very) basic principles of chemotherapy, it attacks fast growing cells. This includes tumours, hair, nails, mouth cells etc. My consultant said since eyebrows and lashes don't grow quite as fast, they will hopefully just thin.

I bloody hope so, the hair thing, in the end, I can deal with - it's temporary, I can adapt to the wig/hat business, and on the whole no one can tell.

No eyelashes however, and I'm in screamingly obvious territory (please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to hide the fact, not ashamed in the slightest, I just don't want people to feel sorry for me and I don't want to be sad/self-conscious/nostalgic when I look in the mirror).

And false lashes I'm crap at, even with my real lashes on top to disguise the poor application.

SO, I'm having a war with myself. I won't let the lashes go quietly. I must admit every day I find one on my cheeks I panic a little. I wear mascara to work and I'm obsessively gentle at removing it with gentle cleansing wipes. But the real weapon is this:






RapidLash. It's an eyelash enhancing serum, available at Boots for £40. I tried it before in my capacity as Beauty Ed, and the results were ridiculous. I have (had) good lashes anyway, and a coat of this every night had them literally tickling my eyebrows within 12 weeks. I could see them when I blinked, in the best possible way, I was almost cow like...

I have no idea if it's helping with lash loss, but I will keep trying. I feel like it is. I'm four chemo sessions in, and my eyebrows have practically faded into obscurity, my lashes are measly, but the combo of RapidLash serum, and, when I go out, Revlon Grow Luscious by Fabulash Mascara (it has the same principles, but in a blacker than black formula so my lashes are being helped even under makeup).






And look at the difference pre and post makeup! (My eyebrows and lashes were pretty dark before...)













I apologise for the freakish close ups btw... On the brow front, I have discovered Dior Sourcils Poudre powder brow pencil with brush, in Chestnut. Again, Beauty Ed I may be, but personal makeup application not my strong point! This powder pencil is foolproof, doesn't matter how sketchily you draw it on, the in-built comb brush blends it to perfection! According to Dior, its always a massive hit at LGFB Editors day in Selfridges (more on that later) and also
with our make-up artists who participate in the classes for LGFB (and that too!). Not super cheap though, at £16.50, so here are some similar alternatives;

M&S Perfection Eyebrow, Pencil & Brush Duo, £5
Rimmel Professional Eyebrow Pencil, £2.99
Benefit Instant Brow Pencil, £14







P.s. Little tip. The thinner your brows and lashes, the paler you appear, so consider this both when choosing you brow pencil colour (I went one to two shades lighter than natural) and also wig choice - you don't want your hair colour to wash you out!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. Great blog...I am off to buy Mother a couple of tubes of Rapid Lash as she is a not a fan of the fake option she is currently rocking and as you can imagine she will not go eyelash-less...!!

    ReplyDelete